Happy Valentines day lovelies,
Can you believe it’s February 14th? I mean seriously, where is this year going!! Before I know it, it’s going to be March 5th and that means I’ve been married for one whole year. Now that’s crazy!! It really does feel like only yesterday Matt and I were planning our wedding, making many trips to the Beach House to organise everything.
But yes, a whole year has passed and that means it’s time to get all loved up, book in a date night and start planning a few cute little surprises because Valentines Day is here!
I have to admit, Matt and I have never really been big Valentine’s Day celebrators. We prefer to do something together like a trip to the bach or a picnic, instead of a typical date night. However, I do like to whip up something yummy and this year I’m totally craving these chocolate raspberry nut butter cups. Actually scratch that. I totally know why I’m craving them. It’s because they are CHOCOALTE NUT BUTTER CUPS. Who doesn’t like chocolate with nut butter!
I have to admit I do have a slight sweet tooth. Thankfully though I love getting in the kitchen and having a play whipping up new treats that are both sweet and decadent and also nourishing and full of goodness, and that’s exactly how I came up with these. You might remember I posted a similar version a few years ago (here), but I think this version takes the win. It’s possibly due to the fact they are full of raspberry, which is divine, but also because they are a lot simpler and easier to make.
So I ask you this…… what are doing for valentine’s day? If the answer is “I don’t know”, then why not spend a few minutes in the kitchen whipping up these delicious chocolate raspberry nut butter cups. Trust me your partner will love you for it and I mean who doesn’t love a little chocolate on valentine’s day.
Chocolate Raspberry Nut Butter Cups
If you’re using frozen raspberries make sure to take them out of the freezer before you want to make these so that they have time to defrost a little before you begin.
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- ¾ cup of cacao powder
- 2 ½ tbsp of maple syrup
- 1/3 cup of nut butter (I love almond butter)
- 1 cup of frozen or fresh raspberries
- juice from ½ lemon
- 5 tbsp of chia seeds
- 5 tbsp of water
- coconut flakes
- cacao nibs
- raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- goji berries
- In a saucepan melt the coconut oil, cacao powder and maple syrup until it combines. While it melts place mini cupcake containers in a cupcake tray, ready to pour the chocolate into.
- Once the chocolate has melted scoop 1 tsp of chocolate into each cupcake holder and place in the freezer for at least five minutes.
- While the chocolate is melting place the raspberries, chia seeds, lemon and water in a bowl and mix well. Place it to the side and let the chia seeds expand. Mix every few minutes.
- Once the chocolate has hardened to touch, pull it out of the freezer and place to one side. Use a teaspoon and scoop out ½ a tsp of nut butter into each chocolate cup. The idea is to place the nut butter in the middle so that when you go to pour the rest of the chocolate over the top it seals the nut butter cup completely.
- On top of the nut butter place ½ a tsp of chia jam. After you’ve topped each chocolate cup, finish them off with a tsp of the leftover chocolate.
- Lastly sprinkle with some coconut flakes, goji berries, salt or raspberries and place back in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Once they are hard you can transfer them to the fridge. They will last in the fridge for a few weeks. Make sure to take them out of the fridge to soften slightly before eating.