Who doesn’t love a delicious mug of steamy hot coffee to kick start their day? Yes, you heard me right, I did say coffee, not matcha latte or herbal tea or even herbal coffee and I mean real coffee that smells incredible, that gives you that amazing little boost and kick in your step and that even makes you go…..’Mmmmm” when you take a sip.
You’re probably wondering what is going on, since I don’t typically talk about or encourage coffee drinking, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t love coffee or that I’m not always looking for new ways to super boost this delicious drink and make it just a little bit better for us.
Since being pregnant I seem to have lost most of my taste buds and so I’m finding food to be pretty bland and boring. Hence, I tend to jump on foods that awaken my taste buds, and funny enough coffee is one of them. I also partially blame my recent Europe trip for this new love of coffee, prior to this I was happy with an occasional mug, but since spending a month in Italy and smelling coffee everywhere, I just want to indulge a little more!.
You’re not meant to drink a lot of coffee when you’re pregnant (or not pregnant for that matter) since it’s high in caffeine, but it is fine to have one cup a day. That being said, I personally can’t tolerate it everyday (I get far to jittery and just don’t feel my best), but I’ve found that around 4-5 cups a week is the perfect balance for me. And so began my search to turn my normal cup of coffee into something a little more special, definitely a whole lot better for me and if possible, even yummier. And guess what, I think I did it!!!
Before I share the recipe with you and you go and whip up a mug, I want to talk to you about bullet-proof coffee, since that’s where my inspiration came from. Now bullet-proof coffee, for those who have never heard of it is a cup of coffee that’s been blended with grass fed butter and oil to turn it into this rich, creamy, full fat coffee that’s apparently pretty damn addictive.
Sounds strange? Well I guess it kind of is, but if you read the list of health benefits below, you can see why so many people have jumped on board and are now starting all their mornings with a blended cup of buttery coffee.
Health Benefits of Bullet Proof Coffee:
- It can help triggers weight loss, as it puts your body into a state of ketosis, which is when your body burns fat. This is also why you’re meant to wait until lunch to have your first meal post your morning cup of bullet-proof coffee. This way it keeps the body burning fat all morning. I personally think this is a bit extreme and so I haven’t adopted this aspect. Plus, I love my Breakfast just a little too much.
- It is also said to calm your cravings
- It also can apparently boost cognitive function and so is said to bring on more mental clarity
Pretty cool right!! Now the only issue is that I and many other plant-based foodies, don’t eat butter. But don’t you worry lovelies, I have us sorted. I’ve been looking into other ways to get the same type of results, while cutting out one of the main ingredients and I think I’ve done it.
What I do instead of adding butter, is add a few of my favourites, such as….
- Raw cashews for that creamy texture as well as for a dose of healthy fats
- Maca powder for that boost of energy and endurance for the day
- Cinnamon to balance blood sugar levels and cravings
- Turmeric, since its such a powerful antioxidant boosting spice
- Coconut oil for the healthy fats and as a weight loss and metabolism booster …. and for a million other reasons, since coconut oil is AMAZING!
- Oh and of course organic filter coffee for that delicious taste, mental clarity and boost that we all love so much.
I have a challenge for you. I want you to switch your normal cup of coffee during the week for my Vegan Bullet-Proof Coffee and see if you notice a difference with your energy levels, mood, blood sugar levels, cravings and just general wellness. I would love to hear from you if you do give it a go, so either email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or comment below.
My Take on Bullet Proof Coffee (only Vegan and Healthier)
Note: feel free to add a pinch of black pepper to the coffee as well to help activate the turmeric and so get more health benefits out of it. You only need a very small amount to activate it, so don’t worry you won’t even taste it.
- 1 cup of filtered organic coffee
- 1 tsp of coconut oil or MCT oil (which is a concentrated coconut oil that is commonly used in Bullet Proof Coffee)
- a small handful of raw cashews (or 1 tsp of cashew butter)
- ½ tsp of organic cinnamon
- ½ tsp of organic turmeric
- 1 tsp of Maca powder
Boil your kettle and while you wait for that add 1-2 tsp of filtered coffee into your plunger. Fill with 1 cup of boiling water and let it seep for 3-4 minutes. While that brews, add the rest of the ingredients into your blender. Finish with the filtered coffee (once it’s brewed) and then blend on high for 30 seconds until smooth and creamy.
Pour into a mug and drink immediately.